Sunday, July 28, 2013

The story of the Nepalese teapot

This teapot is the start of my postcard collection. It gave me the confidence to keep drawing until I had enough designs to get them professionally printed and put them up for sale.

Years ago I bought a beautiful heavy metallic teapot from Turkey. Not the kind of tourist crap you see on every street corner, but a real one. Back home it stood there being pretty on a small table all by itself. It needed company. A few years later in Maroc I found another beautiful teapot with a completely different shape, but the same metallic. The perfect match for my Turkish teapot.

The two were just happy together, until I went to Nepal and the most gorgeous handmade little teapot caught my eye. I bargained and I begged and I almost walked away, but I couldn't leave without it. I gave the man the rupees he had asked for.

Now the three of them make a tiny collection and I have every intention of making it a big happy family, all different shapes, sizes and most important: nationalities.


Back to the postcard. One day I walked past that little table and smiled at the sight of them standing there. I took a good look at the Nepalese one, all the fine details. I felt like drawing it. I sat down with a piece of paper and a pencil and just began. It took a while to get every detail there, but I completely lost track of time. I then tracked the pencil drawing with brown ink and a dip pen. I scanned and edited it on the computer. Et voila.

I added some color in the form of blue drops and there it was: the first approved design.
If you like it, you can buy yours here.




There's more inspiration that came from my trip to India & Nepal. You will find the outcome of that in a little while at the Stoffer + Blik webshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment