Sunday, November 10, 2013

Color preferences

Working as a designer there are three key things: typography, shape and color. While I was trying to find some sleep somewhere last night I realized something about that last thing: color. Your preferences are determined very early on. I remember lots of colors from my childhood. From the color of my favorite sweater (white & pink), my blue parakeet, the color of the room of my brother (red & white) and sister (mint green). But what came to mind most were some pieces of clay. I had a set of square clay sticks in different colors and I remember I really loved three of them. And I still can see these colors very clearly. I made sure to never mix the clay: they had to stay the perfect color. I could look at them for ages.

Here they are:




My childhood bedroom has been that exact color green and later that color pink. I now have some additional favorites that are a little more subtle, but these are still 'my colors'.

I looked it up this morning and read that as an infant you start developing color preference when you are just 12 weeks old. It changes over time, but positive things from your childhood linked to a certain color, will stick with you throughout your life.

You can see it in Stoffer + Blik and you can see it my home and my wardrobe. I guess you really choose your favorite colors very early on, I was no older than 7 when I was so smitten with these colors of clay. And it really never changed. These colors look familiar?

This set of Christmas cards is for sale at Stoffer + Blik.


No comments:

Post a Comment