Monday, February 9, 2015

#6. Practice makes perfect

The whole calligraphy thing seems to take a lot of testing and trying out different pens and brushes. I bought a calligraphy ink pen that doesn't give me the freedom in thick and thin lines I was looking for. I guess it is more suitable for traditional calligraphy and not so much the hand lettering that I wanted to do.

My regular ink pen, that I've been in love with for years, is wonderful in detail and fine lines, but for the thicker parts of the letters you really need to fill it in afterwards. It works, but I don't think that is the way to go either.

I found some advice on the blog A Fabulous Fete on hand lettering tools. I ended up buying two Japanese brush pens and thought it all would be fabulously easy. Not. I guess that's how you know somebody is really good at something: they make it look effortless. I'm still very far from effortless.

As you can see below one pen is not the other. So I'll be trying out more pens, work on a steady hand (!) and practice, practice, practice!

Pentel is on the left, Pilot on the right. I bought them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment