Sunday, January 22, 2017

Tile design in lino

Today I made this linocut with the intention to make it a pattern. It's like a floor tile you can just keep turning and repeating to make a pattern. This way you get a big result (and a big print) with just a tiny piece of lino. I love how it turned out and now I want to design my own bathroom tiles!

I started out with flamingos, but that was bit too detailed. Maybe later, when I have more patience ;) I decided on the fish. I made a mess (as usual) smudging the ink all over the place, but hey, it turned out pretty nice.

It's not perfect and that's what I love about handmade stuff. I do intend to make the next one a little neater and print it neater too. I think when I design in on the computer, transfer it to lino, I will get a really good connecting pattern. Without losing the handmade feel. I guess that's next.

Below you see a bit of the process: sketching, transfer to lino, cutting and printing.





No comments:

Post a Comment