Saturday, September 14, 2013

Foreign memories

My home is filled with souvenirs from places I have been. I see them all the time and it reminds me of good times and inspires me to plan some more travels. I had to learn to pick my souvenirs wisely, though. I have a rule for that now. It must be at least two of the following: gorgeous, useful or have a special memory attached to it, such as the ridiculous market where you have bought it.

I have thrown out the stupid, ugly and useless. Turkish scarfs that fell apart after washing them once. A hideous miniature Eiffel tower (what was I thinking?). I still have a glass/metal lamp from Delhi, India. But that one definitely belongs in the category tourist crap, with glue all over the place. In the craziness of an Indian market I actually bought it and I regretted it the minute I walked away. But I took it home anyway and it's still here, but I will throw it out soon.

The souvenirs that are actually useful are the best. The bowls I have bought in Turkey and Maroc. The wooden coffee cups from Norway, the clay foot scrubber from Maroc and the very best: camel leather slippers from Jerusalem. I already dread the day they are all worn out. The only thing to do then is go back and get me another pair. Here is a selection of the foreign stuff that has found a place in my home.




I also have some Indian and Nepalese money, that is also kind of a souvenir. You can't touch it without disinfecting your hands immediately after... I already spent my Turkish and Moroccan bills, because I went there a second time. I will keep my US dollars though, because I found it so strange to have them in my hands for the first time. I had seen it on television a million times and we used the same kind in our 'Monopoly' games. I don't know, it just feels like toy money. It still does.


No comments:

Post a Comment