Thursday, November 21, 2013

My First Mosaic

So I had a mosaic workshop a week ago. We had three hours, a selection of colored ceramic tiles, hammers, tile glue and either a mirror on a piece of wood of just a piece of wood. Where to start? Of course I was not making this easy on myself, so first of all I wanted the wood without the mirror: more room for a design. The second thing I did was draw way to many detailed things on that piece of wood.

For some reason everyone rushed to collect their tiles before they even had the time to think about what they were about to make. Mad women, dying to get their hands on the right pieces, like Crazy Summer Sale. I looked at the scene and shook my head. Soon after, deafening noise filled the room. Hammers crushing those poor tiles into pieces. After I finished my sketch and decided on the colors, I collected the left overs to get started on my design.

Half way through the evening, headache around the corner, starving, I realized I was the odd one out with a vegetable and a fruit in front of me. The teacher looked at my work with a big question mark in her eyes. She asked what no one wants to hear: "What is it?" A little offended she didn't see, I answered: 'A beetroot'. She mumbled something like 'I wouldn't know, my kids don't eat them' and moved on to the lady next to me. She must have sensed I didn't take her very seriously after her question, because she ignored me the rest of the evening.

Three hours and two sore hands later I was covered in tile glue and not even halfway finished. As expected. I took some tiles with me to finish it at home. And here it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment