Sunday, September 1, 2013

Frying flowers

You are about to hear something from me that I heard my mom say that my aunt had said to her. So this is very reliable information. Just so you know. You can fry and eat zucchini flowers. And it's supposed to be delicious. When I heard it, I thought I might try that one day. And then I was flipping through Veg! and there it was. So it must be true.

And guess what, I have three pumpkin plants on my balcony that have the same flowers, it seems. I am taking the risk and using pumpkin flowers instead. I hope they're not toxic or this might be my last post.


After checking my cupboard for the ingredients, I harvested a couple of nice looking flowers. Washed them off a little and checked the inside for bugs. Important step, that last one.

According to the recipe I needed to use ricotta cheese and herbs and then add a little goat cheese. I only had soft goat cheese in my fridge, so what the hell. I made a little mix of the goat cheese, chives, parsley and thyme. Added some salt and pepper and then gently stuffed the flowers with the mixture.




Before frying these flowers, I rolled them in a frying batter. Then I put them in a pan with hot sunflower oil, letting them sizzle for a few minutes untill crispy and slightly colored. 



And now the moment of truth is here. Is it really an exquisite delicacy? The answer is 'I think so'. If you follow the recipe. It was okay the way I did it. But goat cheese has a strong flavor and so does the crispy batter. Not bad, but I wanted to taste the flower. And I didn't.

In the recipe it says you can also leave the filling out all together. I think that's a better option than mine. Or follow the recipe with the ricotta cheese. I am happy to give you the recipe if you want to try it. Let me know in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment